Friday, September 30, 2011

Slipcovered Sofa

If you've read my blog before, you may have seen my collage wall post. 
Well in most of the photos there is a long gray sofa, that you may or may not have noticed.
I thought I would show you a little before, and after. 
I found the sofa at an estate sale.  It was $70.00, which was truthfully more than I wanted to pay since it was ugly, but I went back on the last day and it was half price, which made it $35.00. 
I offerred them $30.00 and they accepted.   Woohoo!
I ran and borrowed my dad's truck (man buying furniture is a pain without a truck of my own), grabbed my husband, threw the kids in the back and we ran and picked it up.  Surprisingly, my hubs didn't say much or complain...which is not the norm.  Anywho, I assured him that I was going to slipcover it and it would look amazing.  Needless to say, he was a bit skeptical...I sew a little, but had never made a slipcover...  I told him to trust me.



See the ugly brown fabric underneath?  Funny thing is that it was already slipcovered with a mossy green floral print when I bought it, but I forgot to snap a picture before pulling it off and throwing it away.  It was very musty smelling so we needed to get it out of the house. 

Even though it was ugly, it is a solid sofa with heavy down cushions...I feel pretty lucky to have scored it at such a great price.

I then called my good friend, Shelley from Crazy Wonderful, the same friend that helped me with the collage wall...and asked if she would assist me in making the slipcover. She was awesome.  She gave her time and expertise, and amazingly we got 'er done, she helped me pin, but I did all of the sewing.  Here is the semi-final product.  I say semi-final, because it's a sofa from maybe the 60s and is really low to the ground.  I plan to put longer legs on it at some point.


I had planned to cover it with the painter's dropcloth I hear so much about, but decided that I might like a little darker color. I found some light gray cotton duck at half price at Joann's, so that's what I ended up going with. I probably spent about $125 on fabric, so all in all it was about a $150 sofa.
If you are thinking about making a slipcover, I say go for it, but go watch Miss Mustard Seed's tutorial videos first (she's my hero).  I watched all of them several times before I started.  I would even go back and watch them during just to build my confidence!

It's not perfect, but I am so proud of it!  This slipcover was a huge accomplishment for me!

If you're visiting from a Linky Party - THANK YOU! 
I would LOVE for you to Become a Follower!

I'm Linking up:
Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous
Remodelaholics Anonymous at Remodelaholic
Frugal Friday at Shabby Nest
Fancy This Fridays at Truly Lovely
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
Weekend Link Up at Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo 
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
 Show and Tell Saturdays at Be Different Act Normal
 Saturday is Crafty Day at I'm Along For the Ride
  Check Me Out Saturdays With A Vision to Remember
Nifty Thrifty Sunday at Nifty Thrifty Things
Dittle Dattle
Tuesday Confessional at Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy
Tuesday To Do at The Blackberry Vine
Tutorials and Tips at Home Stories A2Z
Tuesday Link Party at Today's Creative Blog
Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie

23 comments:

Ann said...

Thats a great color. And a great deal for a nice shaped sofa. I once did a slipcover for a loveseat, I know how much work it is! You did a great job!

Leigh-Ann said...

You did an amazing job with the couch!! Thanks for sharing it!!

Shelley said...

You've so impressed me with this sofa :D I still can't get over how much you scored it for!

Mindie Hilton said...

Great slipcover. I am following you back from Bacon Time. Nice to meet you.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, there! This turned out lovely. Btw, I'm admiring all the creativity here in your blog. May I invite you to join my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

LuciRae said...

Love the color! I am on a grey kick lately. Hopped over from Homemaker on a Dime:)

Patricia Torres said...

Thats a super fab cover!! lovely! I'm impressed!! :-) Thanks for linking in!!

I love love the glimpse of the wall I see in the background.. :-)

Nan @ Playful Decor said...

You did a great job on that! I wanted to offer for you to enter my giveaway for a DIY Slipcover DVD - but I don't think you need it! :) Coming from the Craftomaniac hop. Nice to meet you!

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

That looks 110% better! Like the color you chose. Looks like it goes well with everything else! Thanks for linking to Fancy This Fridays!!!

Megan said...

Hmm...That pillow looks familiar. You must have good taste! That is a really good job slip-covering. That is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud. I would be ecstatic if I could pull that off. I have a cane chair I need to reupholster, but am putting it off because I am scared.

trophyw.blogspot.com said...

Looks awesome. My one and only attempt at a slip cover was an epic fail. THanks for linking up!

Deborah March said...

Ha ha...you're right...it really WAS ugly! I am AMAZED that you made the slip cover yourself...what a FABULOUS job...and, of course, it completely changes the look of your sofa...ugly duckling to beautiful swan!

Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/...hope you might stop by and say hi!)

Mindie Hilton said...

Hope you will join us again at Bacon Time.

Marie said...

Love how it turned out! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share!

Marie
Mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Turned out charming- great price too! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday! Hope to see you again at this weeks party! :)

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

Amazing what a little slipcover can do. Great transformation.

Honey at 2805 said...

Slipcovers create little miracles don't they! It looks so nice!

Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate you!

Stuff and Nonsense said...

amazing what a bit of fabric
and some sewing skill can do
to utterly transform a room

thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded!

alison

Abby said...

Great idea!I love your blog!

Your newest follower,
Abby
i---create
(come take a look if you like)

Rosario said...

It looks great and I admire you for making the slipcover yourself. I rather just buy a slipcover, the ones I have bought in the past have been under $50. I bought one at Ann's Linens and the others I bought at Ross.

Sherry said...

That turned out really great! Thank you for linking up with Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Chris said...

Hi there, what a wonderful job you did with slipcovering the sofa. Congrats. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over to my blog and you might like to follow me also. I would like that. Hugs, Chris

Ethan Smith said...

Buy and sell new and used modern, outdoor, office, bedroom and home furniture.
Choose from a great selection of gently used furniture for every room in your home.
More here selling used furniture

Blogging tips