Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dream Kitchen

I live in a house that looks like 1965. 

The counters are cracked turqouise laminate, and the floor is turquoise speckled tiles (that are starting to come up) and up until recently we had all matching brown appliances.

While I have made some changes, like stripping wallpaper, painting wood paneling, updating curtains etc.  My progress is slow.  We will never (at least not in any forseeable future) be able to gut the kitchen and start from scratch.  Things have been a bit slow at work, so I find myself daydreaming...A LOT!  I search the internet for tile options and flooring ideas until I'm bleary eyed, but I think a plan is slowing starting to formulate in my mind's eye as to how I want our kitchen to look.  I had the white cabinets in our first house and liked them, however I find myself dreaming of a dark rich kitchen with black or dark gray cabinets.  I first thought black, then started painting some of the doors in the house dark gray and thought definately gray, but I'm back to black. 

I found the following picture on HGTV.com and can I tell ya....I'm in LOVE!!!

custom cabinetry updates kitchen

I had originally planned to paint the cabinets we have, but am now thinking we should replace the doors.  The doors above are so modern looking, and although I had been planning on a white backplash, I like the subtle blue...but maybe not on the floor. 

Has anyone just replaced the doors in their kitchen, and not replaced all of the cabinets too?  I would love to know if this is a good option or if I might regret not saving up and replacing all of the cabinets!?

Tell me what to do!

I have a stainless fridge and double ovens...we still need to replace the dishwasher and cook top...oh and that pesky range hood...which will help tremendously, but I have visions of black and white dancing in my head. 

 I'll keep you posted!!

5 comments:

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

I'd try it out with the existing cabinets, and if you really just aren't feeling it, replace the fronts later on. That way you can still bask in your black kitchen without tossing a lot of money into it right off the bat. Love the photo!

Lori said...

I can hardly wait to see where your kitchen goes..I'm now following you on the new Linky tool. Follow back so we can stay connected, Lori

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I agree with Shelly, that way you can put that money into your floor if you want or new dishwasher! I think it will be so neat in black, I thought of doing mine black but it would have made it really dark in there so we did the cottage white.
Rondell

Amy said...

I definitely have the sickness. The 1965 kitchen sounds divine to me. HA! But I would take that one above in a heartbeat too. I agree with Shelley, try it with what you have.

Kristina Clemens said...

I agree. I very seriously love that kitchen. Mine is straight out of the 1970's! =)
Kristina J.

Blogging tips