Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Nightstand Makeover

About two years ago a friend gave me a little blond, but somewhat boring end table. 
Ollie has never had a suitable nightstand, so when we moved into this house it moved into her room and became her nightstand.

I've been talking about painting the nightstand/end table like for-ev quite some time, but this past weekend, since the weather was A-Maaz-ing, I finally got off my butt and got it done. 


OK, so I had a little help... Ollie did quite well, considering she's 4 and not a tidy painter. 
Thank goodness for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...you really can't screw it up!





I used ASCP, but I left the paint fairly thick and didn't antique it...and then gave it a thin coat of clear wax.


I had a few extra glass knobs from Ollie's other furniture make-overs, which add that little extra to make them adorable... I need to get over to Hobby Lobby to pick up two more.

Oh and while I had the orange paint out, I finally did one of the Pinterest projects I've had pinned
F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!



My inspiration piece used straight pins, but I sent the hubs to the hardware store, and he came home with furniture tacks.  Not exactly what I would have gotten, but they look pretty cute! 

I used a scrap piece of wood, printed out Ollie's name in a bold font, cut out each letter and just started hammering in the tacks.  Then I just wound embroidery floss around each letter. 
I think it turned out pretty cute. 
(One Pinterest project down, 1,412 left to go!)
I think it will look SUPER cute over Ollie's tall dresser!

P.S. I have finally taken some after (or at least in progress) pictures of both girls rooms that I'll be sharing next time!  See why I chose orange for the nightstand...
Pin It

TTFN...
Show me some love - leave me a comment and become a follower...pretty please!

I'm linking up:

25 comments:

Anita Stafford said...

Your project turned out very nice! Painting furniture always scares me. I love the color you used!

Stacey said...

That looks awesome! LOVE that color! And those could totally be MY kids painting with me! Hehe!
I would love if you stopped by my Creative Inspirations party to link up - I would love to have you there!
Stacey of Embracing Change
http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

Ruth Sagrario Macotela said...

I love the color, your project come out so great!

Thanks for the sharing.

kris said...

I love the nightstand! I've been wanting to paint some furniture for quite a while now. You've inspired me. But I have a question - did you sand the nightstand down first, or prime it or just paint it?

bonniegetchell said...

Both projects are really cute! I really adore the color you chose for Ollie's night stand-- very bright and cheery! :) Found you via Simple Home Life linky party!

-Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
www.revolutionariesblog.com

King of $aving said...

Stopping by from the Anything Goes Linky! http://kingofsaving.com

Beth said...

LOVE that color! Nice job. And that sign is so cute too.

Jenn said...

Cute - love that color.

Debbie {Visual Eye Candy} said...

I love the bright orange and the knobs!

Peg Meckling said...

I heart orange! I've never had the courage to re-do a piece in that color. You are an inspiration!

Suzy said...

This is adorable! I love the color. So cute that your 4 year old was able to help out! Visiting from Sew Many Ways.

Sara said...

I need this tutorial and that girl of yours for some nightstands of mine:)

g*rated said...

oh i love this! i have some cheap white furniture in my daughter's room i've been wanting to paint a fun color but have been to scared. i think i just may try it now. :) we'd love to have you link this up to our Sunday Best party going on right now. http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunday-best-link-party.html
-marie

Patricia Torres said...

Oh wow!! wow!! thats truly gorgeous!! well done.. I love the colour.. Thanks for linking in to Colours Dekor.. Totally love your blog.. I'm your newest follower.. and am hoping to see many more inspirations from you!!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

Love it! It makes such a statement.

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

It turned out great! The perfect color :) And, how cute is her name plate!

Katie said...

Love this night stand makeover. You inspire me to want to paint my nightstands ASAP!

Thank you for linking up last week to Sew Woodsy. Just wanted to let you know that I featured this today!

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

So cute! I love the bold color and knobs you choose. I just bought a plain pine nightstand from Ikea and have been debating what color to paint it. Maybe bold will be the way to go! Thanks for the inspiration! If you have some time I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and check out the giveaway I'm having for Ramsign House Number Signs!

L-A Land said...

love the orange. i just madeover a desk in orange. its my fav.

http://lalalandhusser.blogspot.com/2012/04/desk-playroom-and-lots-of-orange-stuff.html

Somu (woodooz) said...

Lovely piece of work... The color really stands out and knobs look cool. And it is awesome that you are having your kids get involved in DIY...

Sherry said...

Very cute! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Hani@Craftionary said...

WOW.. I love the color.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party

Organize with Sandy said...

Came out cute! Thanks for linking it up to my Monday Organizing & DIY link party

Kassi @ Truly Lovely said...

We love when the kiddos get to be involved! Especially if it's something for them!! Thanks for linking to Fancy This Fridays!!! We FEATURED this today!!! :) http://www.trulylovelyblog.com/2012/04/fancy-this-features-71-and-72/

mirrored nightstand said...

I love the color, your project come out so great!

Blogging tips