Monday, July 23, 2012

Next Project - Dining Room

I don't typically get much done in the house in the summertime.  I have a list of projects a mile long, but we have a pool now and that seems to take priority over everything else. 

Part of the reason I haven't started a new project is that I'm never sure where to start.  Do I do the entryway, the front room, the dining room...  You see when the list is long, I get overwhelmed and sort of stall out.  The hubs and I talked and decided on the dining room.  The main reason we decided on the dining room, is that it is a contained space.  See sometimes, when I do projects, I don't finish one before starting another one, and that drives my husband crazy. 

So, here is the Dining Room when we moved in:


See the lovely wallpaper?  Eveyone that comes over tells me how much they love the birds and they would keep them...well I hate them and they are going bah-bye...


Don't get me wrong, I'm quite sure that in 1965 this was top of the line wallpaper.  It has a metallic sheen and is super thick, but to me it just screams 1965...and I just can't keep it.


I don't know if I've said anything about this before, but see the glass in the built-in.  It's gold, as is every light fixture, and glass panel in this house.  If you didn't know better you would think everyone who comes over is suffering from jaundice. 


This was after we moved in.  Apparently that weird little shelf on the wall was added, because it used to be a pass through from the kitchen to the dining room.  Right behind that panel, is the stove top...kind of random, but the previous homeowner said that they fried so much in the 60s the carpet started to get discolored and I think the wallpaper must have suffered too, because when I started to pull it down, I found that there were two layers of the SAME EXACT PAPER.  Who does that?

So here is my to-do list:

1. Remove wallpaper, and patch walls.
2. Remove the built-in shelves and sheetrock over the hole.
3. Replace the gold glass in the built-in with some sort of clear pebbled glass and paint the built in.
4. Pait all woodwork and trim BM Chantilly Lace (White), because that is the color of the paneling and trim in the hallway, and will probably be the color of all of the paneling and trim in the whole house.
5. Find bold fabric and make curtains.
6. Replace light fixture with something more modern.
7.  Replace flooring and add rug.

So as for the curtains, I have been searching high and low for a bold fabric with a large pattern.  This is a tricky task, because it's hard to find and if you do it's like $80/yard.  I am a fan of the DIY Showoff, and she showed the fabric below and I think I've fallen in love. 

It meets several of the requirements that I am wanting. 

1. I want something bold and colorful.
2. I want some of the color to mirror the color that I paint the built in.

Santa Maria Desert Flower

Waverly Santa Maria Desert Flower - $19.95 a yard.

See I have been wanting to paint the built-in either a weathered green or a weathered turquoise.


Turquoise dresser - fabulous or painted doors
green paint or green paint

I also want to:

Add modern lighting:
 Loft Shade Chandelier or Pinned Image

Tear out carpet, and possibly paint subfloor (until we can afford to all of the floors) and add rug:
I also need to come up with a wall color.  So, I guess I need to get a swatch of the fabric and see what might look best.
What do you think?  I welcome your opinion (if it's nice)!!
If you want to see the finished project, become a follower and follow along!

Pin It

I'm linking up:
The DIY Project Parade at The DIY Showoff
Weekend Wrap Up at Colours Dekor
Tuesday To Do at The Blackberry Vine
C.R.A.F.T.
Keeping It Simple
CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac
Pink Hippo Party at Pinkapotamus
Mop It Up Mondays at I Should Be Mopping The Floor
Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style

38 comments:

Crissy said...

I love all the colors, and that fabric is absolutely gorgeous!!! Happy Monday to you. :)

~ Liz ~ said...

I think it's going to be a modern-dramatic-colorful success. Do it! And don't leave us hanging. I'm so impatient, I'm ready for the reveal already! And, if you don't finish we'll have to take up for your husband and hound you. I can't wait to see the items come together. Those choices look very promising. I'm following now so I can see what you end up with. Hope you'll stop over at Quirky Vistas and follow as well if you like.
Liz

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

You should give those that loved the birds the wallpaper after you rip it down, ha! Still love that drape fabric. It's going to look awesome in there :)

AmieAnn said...

Good luck with your projects! Summer is such a tough time to get anything done! But I just adore the color scheme for your updates! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. I am your newest follower!
xoxo
Amie @ Pinkapotamus

Brianna Leverenz said...

Good luck! Looks like you've got your hands full with that living room, but I'm sure it'll come out gorgeous!

Helen's Decor said...

Katherine, you are braving it. I cannot wait to see the finished dining room. Glad you are going for it!! I'm 181 on the same row you are...hope you hop over. Helen

A Lived in Home said...

Love your fabric choice! It's so fun and bright!

MyTwoCents said...

wow, can't wait to see the finished room! Love the fabric choice

Cara said...

Love it all! I did like your birds but I will pass on the wallpaper :) but I would be happy to take the chandelier off of your hands if you don't have another home planned for it!

Carole said...

You have got quite a job on your hands... Great post. I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
I have linked a pizza I did with leftover roast chicken. Have a good week.

Camille {Sugar Baby Boutique} said...

I LOVE that fabric!!

AngelaECS at Number Fifty-Three said...

I think that is gong to be an amazing transformation! I'm also doing over my dining room. :) I love your fabric and color inspirations. I'm now following your blog. Can't wait to see the end result of your makeover!

Have a great week!

Angela

DearHelenHartman said...

When I saw the Waverly floral for Wow Us Wednesday I had to click through - wow indeed! Love your choices for a redo.

Erin said...

Saw you on HomestoriesAtoZ. That fabric is beautiful. I want it!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

What beautiful fabric! I would paint the walls the background color in the fabric, and I would paint the built-in a turquoise color. For the rest of the elements of the room, I would go neutral. How exciting to be redoing your room.

Jennifer Dawn said...

The fabric is a beautiful place to start. You have some great inspiration pieces!

Allyson Butler said...

Visiting from Show and Share - I love this fabric!

Debi said...

Great post. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Judy said...

I think the fabric is beautiful and is a great jumping off point. I'd love for you to stop by and link up to my party going on right now. Hope to see you there.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Gorgeous fabric. I think you are going to love the fresh bright colours - I sure would.

the cape on the corner said...

what a great plan! i love that fabric, so fun and funky. as if that wallpaper you're dealing with isn't funky enough! i can't believe people suggest you keep those birds. lol.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I love the colors in the fabric! Great plan. Can't wait to see it when it's all done. Visiting from Stuff and Nonsense. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

crystal said...

I love that Waverly fabric and the weathered turquoise! So pretty.

Coupon Clippin Mommy said...

I can't wait to see how it looks.

I'm stopping by from The Shabby Nest Friday link up.

Erin said...

So would it be super annoying if I told you how much I like the bird wallpaper? He he. Just kidding. Well, I do kind of like it, but who cares? It's your house and it looks like you're going to rock this makeover. I've been drooling over that same fabric for a while now. Maybe I'll just live vicariously through your makeover :)

Hani@Craftionary said...

That room sure need your love. :) I love your choices, can't wait to see the finished room.
Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun Party. Have a nice weekend!

Revi said...

I hear you on the wallpaper. Mine was dark green banana leaves from 1945. Paint is a lovely thing. I was able to texture over mine, since it was not vinyl. It was like the top layer of drywall board. Anyway, your plans sound great, and I LOVE your fabric swatch. I like painted floors, too. Since I need to see the progress, I'm a new follower!
-Revi

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

Wow, fabulous ideas. I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods. It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

Anonymous said...

I love Waverly Fabric & that is beautiful. Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember which) has Waverly Paint.

Donna said...

Great deal on the Waverly fabric. How big is the print? I love the idea you're going to re-use the built-in & replace the dated glass. I can't wait to see the finished project. :) Thanks for sharing.

Impera_Magna said...

Love that fabric and your idea to paint that built-in one of those cool colors!

The weird little inset shelf: now is the time to take care of it if you don't want to keep it. Remove the molding and over it up with a piece of sheet rock... patch and paint.

As for the floor: What about a painted floor? Diagonally set "tiles" in muted colors from your drapery material or even black/white? The tiles can be outlined with painter's tape to give you clean edges.

The chandelier can be painted/updated and the "candles" changed to some other form of light. Home improvement emporiums have a bunch o' stuff to update older fixtures. As for paint, I'm thinking that bright pink maybe???

It's a big project but you can do it...

twelve-O-eight said...

Katherine, here from Funky Junk, I adore that fabric, you are right on target with your idea board. Now following, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Hugs, Tanya
http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I love the fabric that you choose, it is beautiful! You idea board sounds like you have some really great ideas. Love the both colors for the built ins. We sometimes doubt ourselves, but think you will do fine. Wall I would remain more neural, easier to change up as seasons approach. How about stenciling the floors? So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

andrea@townandprairie said...

Your inspirational photos have you on the right track! I can see your vision unfolding now! Keep us posted...now following, Andrea B.

Julie said...

I love the yellow glass! Are u sure you can't work around it :) It would look great up against bright white...or grey!!! Can't wait to see it all finished!!!

~ Julie

Nif said...

Ugh! Good riddance to the wallpaper! :) Love love love all of your ideas. The fabric is wonderful, and I think your idea of painting the built-in turquoise is terrific! Have you thought about doing drop-cloth (or other cheap fabric) curtains, then do a wide band at the bottom of your favorite fabric? That way you wouldn't need as much? Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing!
xoxo
Nif

Sherry said...

Lovely ideas! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Beautiful ideas--that fabric is so rich with vibrant colors, it makes a great jumping off place for other items in your room. I wish you best of luck with this project!

Blogging tips