Monday, July 16, 2012

Summer Vacation


Ft. Walton Beach Florida

We just got back from our first vacation in 5 years.  I would say our first "real" vacation, but it was only partially "real" if that's even possible.  The hubs company is located in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida and every June he has to attend a conference there.  The company puts him in a condo on the beach, so this year we decided we would go with him. 

After all, the room is paid for (except for the few extra nights at the beginning), the rental car, his plane ticket and most of his meals are paid for.  That's why I say the trip was only partially "real", because the hubs did have to work part of it.


Watching a movie waiting to board our first plane.

The last trip we took was also to Florida, but Harper was 18 months old and I was pregnant with Ollie.  That vacation was to St. Augustine, Florida, to visit my Aunt and Uncle.  Needless to say, we were ready for a vacation.

Although I haven't been to Ft. Walton Beach in many years, we vacationed there when I was a kid, so I am familiar with the area.  It's very touristy, but there are beautiful beaches and fun things to do.  The only concern I had was that the forcast was for seven days of rain.  It did rain, however, it stopped after the second day and we had great weather the rest of the time. 

This is the view from our balcony. I love the beautiful white sand.


The first day on the beach.  It was overcast and the water was really rough.




One of the restaurants we ate at had a great big shark and a boat out front.  I thought it would be funny to take the typical tourist pictures... I told Harper to pretend that the shark had her arm... I laughed and laughed at her pose.  Ollie on the other hand looks like she is really happy to be eaten by a shark.



Other than the dumspters out to the side, I thought the next one was pretty cute too.


 Have you seen the movie, Dolphin Tale?  My girls love that movie and were obsessed with seeing a dolphin so one night we decided to take a dolphin cruise.  We drove over to Destin, which is like 5 miles away and while we were waiting to go on the cruise we let the girls do the jumpy rubberbandy (technical terms) thing...which they loved!




Daddy and the girls on the cruise...I love how Harper has her hand on Ollie's head to make sure she is looking at the camera...older siblings, I swear!


Finally, on the last day we had to be out of our room by 10:00 a.m., but our plane didn't leave until 5:00.  We ended up just driving around for awhile...doesn't the hubs look excited?


The girls were enthused...can't you tell?


They were tired babies.

A few things I learned:

1. It was great to save money by going with the hubs on a business trip, but I would have really enjoyed him being with us more.

2. I really liked staying somewhere with a full kitchen, that helped us save money.  We went to the grocery store and made breakfast and lunch in the room.

3. My girls are finally old enough that they are getting easier, even though I would prefer to have the hubs with us all the time.

4. I can't wait to go on another vacation...maybe with just the hubs next time!

Have you been on a vacation this summer?  Where did you go?


 

1 comment:

Shelley {Crazy Wonderful} said...

Ha! That look on Thomas' face cracks me up :D

Blogging tips