Monday, January 21, 2013

Dining Room - Progress

Hello there! 
 
I put my ideas for the dining room makeover out there in July...never thinking it would take until October to complete come close to completing it.  Knowing my history with projects of this type, I really should have known though.
 
You can see my original dining room post here.
 
First up was this pesky shelf in the wall between the kitchen and the dining room.  I opened that sucker up and it sat that way for months.  My brother came over and helped me frame it in, and again it sat.  Fast forward to October, when I scheduled my Halloween Party and boom, I thought I gotta get this crap done.

Before:


During:

After:

I, having never sheet rocked in my entire life, cut the sheet rock, mudded, taped and sanded that bad boy.   Is it perfect?  Far from it...if you are looking at it in the right light, it's not as smooth as I would like, but flat paint is pretty forgiving.  Thank the sweet lord for that!

Next, I removed the doors from the built in and started painting it this beautiful green color, which is BM Kelly Green, color matched by Sherwin Williams.  I painted the actual built in and it sat for a few more weeks.  Then one day I removed the glass from the doors, which was fairly painless.  I even bought the replacement glass back in August, but didn't actually install the last piece until the night before the Halloween party...yes I suck, I know!
 
Before:
 
 
After:


   


I also glazed the built-in, with a dark gray glaze, which looks awesome, but my suggestion is that you apply the glaze all at the same time, because you tend to use different amounts of pressure when applying the glaze and wiping it off  - if it's done on different days. 
That's why the glaze is darker on some doors than on others. 
I still think it looks OK though.

Pin It
 
I also sanded the counter top of the built-in and stained it a darker color.  It started as a light maple color and now is a darker wood grain, which is closer to the color of my dining room table. I used Minwax stain in Ebony and a couple coats of clear poly.
 
I was home with a sick kid one day and decided to make the most of my time and made my no-sew curtains.  They were seriously the easiest element of the whole room.  I then used a tutorial I found on Pinterest for "fake" pinch pleats.  I think it looks pretty good, but I bought gommets and have been contemplating adding them, but am not sure I want to go that route yet. 

I LOVE this fabric, I think the curtains look amazing.  The funny thing is that I found the fabric online and was so excited because I couldn't find it at any of the fabric stores in town, and then the other day I walked in to Hobby Lobby and they had it...oh well.
 
Don't mind the puzzle that's on the dining room table...ha!
Pin It

 
I painted the paneling, window, and crown molding BM Chantilly Lace white, which is the same color I've painted all the wood work in my house so far. 
 
Oh, we also removed the nasty yellow shag carpet that was in the dining room, and have yet to replace it.  My plan was to paint the plywood, but when you are trying to finish a project of this scale basically the week before you have a party, something doesn't get done and that's what didn't get done. Truth be told, here we are several months later and it's still not painted.
 
I found this fabulous light fixture on Overstock.com, which is totally my new favorite website.  I've ordered several things lately from the site and have been totally pleased with every purchase.  Besides after I ordered this light, I was still looking around online to see if I liked anything better and found this exact same light at Menards for like $100 more.
 It totally looks better than I even expected.

 
 Pin It
I think the hardest decision I made in redoing this room was the paint color for the walls.  I've been using a lot of gray tones in my house and wasn't sure how that would look with the curtain fabric.  I just didn't know...and I waffled and waffled and never could pull the trigger on any color, even on test colors.  Well, I have a friend, who I have mentioned on many occassions, Shelley (Crazy Wonderful), who had just purchased some paint to use in her family room...well she hated it.  I told her I would be willing to try it in my dining room, praying that it would work, because I was totally tired of thinking about it...and thank the sweet Lord, it did work and I think it looks great!  Better than I even could have hoped.  Sorry, I don't have the color...but it was a Glidden Flat color matched to a Sherwin Williams Gray.
 
So literally the night before the party, the hubs finally hung the light, I finished hanging the doors on the built-in, we laid down the new rug, brought the chairs back up from their basement hiding place and voila.
 
I am still deciding what to hang on the walls, but I have been picking up white iron stone plates at thrift stores lately with the idea of hanging a plate wall.  We'll see what I decide.
 
What do you think? 
Do you like it? 
What would you have done different?
 
If you like what you see, become a follower!!

Pin It


I will be linking up: 
 



16 comments:

Feral Turtle said...

You did an amazing job. Taping and mudding are one of the hardest and (tedious) things to do and you did it! Looks awesome. You should be so proud of yourself!! Cheers.

Angela Santaniello said...

It looks fantastic! I would never be brave enough to drywall! And that curtain fabric rocks.

Angela

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

Love that light. Your dining room has made great progress.

Kerry said...

Looks great! Love the drape fabric with the gray walls. I too saw it online then in Hob Lob. My stepdaughter wants to cover a couple of wingback chairs with it.

Crunchy Diva said...

That light fixture is amazing! And how brave of you to paint those cabinets green - I wouldn't have the nerve but it looks SOO good.

Chiwei @ One Dog Woof said...

I love that light fixture!

Nikki said...

That fabric! It looks so good!

Laurie @ Laurie's Little Bits of Creativity, etc. said...

You did a great job! I know what you mean about completing projects. I've been working on my kitchen for awhile. Stripped wall paper, installed bead board and painted this past weekend finally! I love that light fixture and curtains. The green cabinets are pretty cool too. New follower visiting from Fancy This Fridays over at Truly Lovely.

the cape on the corner said...

first, good for you for sheetrocking, etc all yourself. i definiely could NOT do that. and i love the curtain fabric! i've got grays in my dining room, and my color pop is red...it needs more pattern though, but i'm not skilled enough to actually make anything (or even know the right amount of fabric needed to make anything. enjoy your space!

Gretchen said...

very nice! I love the kelly green on the cabinet and the way it gets picked up across the room in the curtains :)

Kathie said...

Hello!
I found you from the Mop it up Mondays link up. I would love to have you come share your post with my readers over at Sassy Little Lady’s Show and Tell Saturday. Hope to see you there!

Kathie
http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday

Laura said...

I love your curtains! i think this will go in my office now!!

DIY Show Off said...

Love that light fixture! And that fabric? I found it online too and they're drapes in our family room! Great minds decorate alike!

Crystelle Boutique said...

It's looking great!
Yes, choosing a color is always really hard for me too... But it looks like it turned out fabulous....!

hugs x
Crystelle

Kathie said...

Thank you for linking up with me for Show and Tell Saturday at Sassy Little Lady! Be sure to stop by next week!
http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Terrific post but I was wanting to know if you could write a
litte more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!

Check out my web page symptoms of Methadone withdrawal

Blogging tips