Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kitchen Makeover - During

Let me start by saying that the title may not change for awhile, knowing me...haha!  Once the new counters are put on, we will install the backsplash and I will start painting, which is what will take the longest.  I am going to try and get it all painted in a decent amount of time, but I never know how long it will really take so bear with me!
 
I thought I would pop in and show you some during pictures.  Right now the kitchen smells like a cedar closet and looks like a maple wood cave, but if I squint really hard I can see what it will look like soon.  If you haven't seen the before pictures you can go here, and if you want to see my plans you can go here.
 
Without further ado:
 
 
 
That nasty bank of cabinets if finally gone.
 

Where the bank of cabinets met up with the other cabinets there was a big open area, so in order to make it look a little better and give me a place to put some decorative items, we built some open shelves.  Plus, the coffee pot didn't fit under the cabinets before and now it does!
 

I'll need to trim out the bottom of the open shelves so it looks nicer, but we haven't figured out what we're going to do yet.
 

We had the peninsula built out to a short bar so the girls can sit at the bar and help me in the kitchen.
 
 

 


Remember that weird little kitchen desk?  Well, we had tha removed so that we could add the beverage refrigerator and add some shelves.  We are planning to build a platform under the fridge, because after putting it in place it looks a little low.
 

Here is our beautiful new sink!!! 
Although it is longer in the front so we will have to retrofit the doors.
 

 
Here is the view when standing in front of the sink.  I love that I can look out and see the kitchen table, while not having to duck.
 
(Oh and the chickens up on the ledge will be going buh-bye.  They are left over from our last house and no longer fit with my decor.  If anyone wants some chickens let me know!)
 
Next up, we are having he counter installed.  Hooray!  I will show pictures along the way!

 
As much as I love DIY, we did hire a great handyman to help us with the kitchen.  If we were to do it, it would having taken a month and we would probably end up getting a divorce so a few hundred dollars has been well worth it!
 
What do you think so far?

I would love for you to follow along so you can see my progress!
 


 

 
 
I'm linking to following fabulous parties:

11 comments:

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It's already looking so much better without the row of cabinets!

Di said...

Can't wait to see the final reveal! Love your stainless apron kitchen sink.

Buttons said...

We recently finished a whole kitchen redo, and I hear you on getting a divorce during big home projects like that! So stressful! We were fighting in the middle of Lowe's trying to pick out paint, not our finest hour...but your kitchen looks great! It is amazing what new countertops will do, ours took about two months because we did a lot ourselves and also picked a horrible time right around Christmas to start, but I am so happy with my new and much improved kitchen. Good luck on your project!

the cape on the corner said...

i had no idea they had apron sinks that weren't the farmhouse feel. man, i wish i knew this before we bought ours...tho the kitchen isn't getting updated anytime soon, we still have the sink. can't pass up a great deal, right?

Cathy C said...

So glad to find this! I am about to start re-doing my kitchen and this is a timely post! Saw you over @ Someday Crafts. Visit me @ www.crosson5.blogspot.com sometime!

Jessica @ View from River Mountain said...

Kitchen remodels/makeovers are so much work but one of the most rewarding. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm a new GFC follower.
Stop by my blog sometime: http://viewfromrivermountain.blogspot.com

Miriam DeLaRosa said...

I remember those days if I show you pics of our before and after from what we have done in this house you would say oh my God and we are not finished yet we made our kitchen an open floor plan and we still need to get the appliances we are still using our old ones

Suzan Sweatman said...

Visiting from Savvy Southern Style - so glad I found you - LOVE watching kitchen makeovers in progress!
Now following - would love a follow back when you have the time!
Hugs,
Suzan

Suzan Sweatman said...

sorry came over through French Country Cottage LOL
XXX

Roeshel said...

Looking good, Katherine! Kitchens are so much work but it's so worth it! :)

Anonymous said...

Can I sіmply say what a relief to find an individual who
genuinely unԁeгstands what they're talking about online. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people should read this and understand this side of the story. It's ѕuгpгіsіng yοu aren't more popular given that you certainly have the gift.

My web site; HTTP://Sampo.Kapsi.fi

Blogging tips